There is no market-town in this parish. The nearest is Forres, distant about four miles from the centre of the parish. There are several small villages; Dyke, Kintessack, Broom of Moy, and Whitemire.
Among the eminent individuals connected with this parish, may be mentioned James Stewart, known as “the good Regent,” who was Earl of Moray in the reign of his sister, the unfortunate Mary Queen of Scots. Alexander Brodie of Brodie, who lived during the usurpation of Oliver Cromwell, was a man of great piety, learning, and ability. He was twice chosen a Lord of Session, but from his retired and domestic habits, accepted the office with reluctance, and soon resigned. He was one of the commissioners sent to treat with Charles II at The Hague and at Breds. The late James Brodie of Brodie was a man of considerable talent and scientific acquirements. He especially distinguished himself as a botanist, and added a considerable number of plants of the British Flora.
The landowners of this parish are The Earl of Moray; William Brodie Esq. of Brodie; Norman M’Leod, Esq. of Dalvey; James M. Grant, Esq. of Glenmorriston and Moy; Robert Grant, Esq. of Kincorth; John P. Grant, Esq. of Rothiemurchus and Binsness.
Norman Macleod, Esq. of Dalvey, is the only proprietor who constantly resides in the parish. The Earl of Moray has resided for the last two years. Robert Grant, Esq. of Kincorth, resides for several months in the parish every season. There are three families of independent fortune in the parish, besides the landed proprietors.
According to the census of 1831, the population of the parish was 1457, and in 1841, the population count was 1365. The decrease in partly owing to emigration, and partly to the enlargement of farms.
The raw produce that is farmed in the parish consists of wheat, barley, oats, hay, turnips, potatoes, and pasture. There is a salmon fishing of considerable value upon the Findhorn. The sea-shore yields an inexhaustible supply of excellent cockles, which not only afford a wholesome addition to the meals of the common people, but five employment and subsistence to a number of women, who sell them through the country and the neighboring towns.
The Established Church is the only place of public worship in the parish. It is conveniently situated. It was built in 1781, and is in good repair. It is seated for betwixt 800 and 900. No seat rents are exacted. The number of communicants belonging to the parish, and from the neighborhood, is about 250. There are 43 Dissenting, and 3 Episcopalian families in the parish.
The earliest date of the parochial registers is 1640. They consist of eleven volumes of different sizes. Before the date of the registers which are now filling up, there are several blanks. Since 1783, they have been regularly kept.
This account was written March 1842.
Source: The New Statistical Account of Scotland for Dyke, FHL book 941 B4sa, 2nd series vol 13.
The New Statistical Account of Scotland (pub. 1834-45) offers uniquely rich and detailed parish reports for the whole of Scotland, covering a vast range of topics including history, agriculture, education, trades, religion and social customs. The reports, written by the parish ministers, are available online at edina($). Click on ‘Browse scanned pages’ then search the parish you are interested in. Also available at the Family History Library.